With headlines buzzing about healthcare, politics and the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, our latest healthinsurance.com survey reached people nationwide at a very crucial time.
More than 1,100 respondents answered questions about the following topics:
- The 2020 Election and Healthcare
- General Medical Costs
- COVID-19 Testing and Costs
- COVID-19 Prevention and Protection
- COVID-19 and the Social Scene
- COVID-19 and the Workplace
- COVID-19 and Telemedicine (Virtual Care)
- COVID-19 and Insurance Coverage
The 2020 Election, ACA and Healthcare
60% of respondents are willing to risk their health to vote in person in November. And our respondents shared an even split of what topic is most important in this year’s election: 50% said healthcare and 50% said the economy.
- 88% think the Affordable Care Act (ACA or Obamacare) is still in effect today.
- 66% feel less confident in the quality of U.S. healthcare thanks to COVID-19.
- 62% understand what it means to those with ACA plans if the Supreme Court strikes it down.
- 37% feel that health insurance should not be a political issue.
- 32% think the ACA should be struck down by the Supreme Court.
Taking the Pulse of Medical Costs
56% of respondents have avoided medical treatment due to cost.
- 93% think medical costs in the U.S. are too high.
- 93% think prices for medical procedures should be transparent like food pricing in the grocery store.
- 92% think prescription drug prices in the U.S. are too high.
- 64% think they pay too much for health insurance.
COVID-19 Testing and Costs
32% of respondents have had a hard time or know someone who has had a hard time getting tested for COVID-19.
- 63% worry about the cost of COVID-19 treatment.
- 41% have tested positive for COVID-19 or know someone who has.
COVID-19 Prevention and Protection
74% of respondents think the U.S. needs another “pause” to contain the current spike in coronavirus cases.
- 89% are still taking precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- 88% would comply if the U.S. has to shut down again to control the spread of COVID-19.
- 85% feel that masks help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- 77% feel everyone should be required to wear a mask.
- 73% feel there should be a fine for not wearing a mask.
COVID-19 and the Social Scene
62% of respondents say they have witnessed guidelines not being followed while out in public places.
- 60% have been to a retail store or mall.
- 40% have been to a restaurant or bar.
- 37% have been to a beauty salon or barber shop.
- 14% have returned to their gyms.
In terms of socializing with family, 52% have not seen their parents or grandparents since the pandemic began. Still, 66% would not travel via plane or train to see family and friends.
COVID-19 and the Workplace
If given the options, 81% would work from home after the pandemic passes while 43% would take a pay cut to continue to work from home.
- 84% would express their concerns if their employer asked them to come back to work, but they weren’t ready to do so.
- 67% would not travel for work via plane or train if asked to do so.
- 53% are not comfortable with returning to their workplaces.
- 47% are having a hard time unplugging from their jobs, despite working from home.
COVID-19 and Virtual Care
43% of respondents have used telemedicine during COVID-19 - a notable increase from the 20% who used telemedicine before the pandemic struck.
- 70% feel that telemedicine and in-person appointments should be priced differently.
- 69% are hesitant about telemedicine with the concern that the care is not as good as an in-person visit.
- 60% would use telemedicine again after using it during the coronavirus pandemic.
- 56% say their doctors are offering virtual visits, and 35% have received correspondence about telemedicine from their health insurance companies.
Our furry friends were also a topic of healthcare conversation:
- 20% have put off vet appointments due to COVID-19, but 49% would use televet appointments for their pets.
- 37% plan to stop allowing people to pet their dogs due to COVID-19 fears, and 17% worry that their pet could contract COVID-19.
COVID-19 and Insurance Coverage
54% of respondents say they don’t know what their health insurance options are if they lost their coverage.
- 56% currently have a life insurance policy and 30% have thought about purchasing one due to COVID-19.
- 49% are hesitant to switch jobs because they want to keep their employer-sponsored health benefits.
- 20% have lost their health insurance or know someone who has lost their health insurance coverage during COVID-19.
The above results were gathered through an online poll of more than 1,100 Americans between the ages of 18-64. The poll was conducted from July 3, 2020 to July 6, 2020, gleaning representative samples from each state based on population.
Explore More Coronavirus Trends and Surveys